Lead-Based Paint Surveys

Lead poisoning is caused due to large amounts of heavy metal lead in the body. Lead interferes with the body functions and is toxic to many organs and tissues which include the heart, bones, intestines, kidneys, and reproductive and nervous systems. It interrupts the development of the nervous system and is therefore toxic to children, causing possible permanent learning and behavioral problems.

Lead can be exposed through contaminated air, water, soil, food, dust, and the paint of some homes or buildings built before 1978. Adults are commonly exposed to lead due to their occupation, children are commonly exposed due to lead paint that exists in homes; especially older ones. Prevention of lead exposure can range from individual efforts to nationwide policies. Symptoms associated with lead poisoning include abdominal pain, confusion, headache, anemia, irritability, and in severe cases seizures, coma, and death. A blood test at the doctors can tell if a person has been exposed to any lead.

Lead’s Health Risks

For Children:
  • Lowered IQ
  • Learning and behavioral difficulties
  • Slowed growth
  • Hearing problems
  • Headaches
For Adults:
  • Memory and concentration problems
  • Nerve disorders
  • Reproductive problems
  • High blood pressure, hypertension
  • Muscle and joint pain
Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

If you are renovating or demolishing a building that was constructed prior to 1978, please contact us for a free quote for a lead-Based Paint survey.  New York City Department of Buildings will also need it.

Related Services