Hazardous Material Contamination

Sites with a hazardous material contamination (HAZMAT) designation may need to obtain a Notice to Proceed (NTP) letter in order to receive building permit(s). This means you may need to have a Phase I Environmental Site Investigation (ESA), a Phase II Subsurface Investigation Work Plan, and a Construction Health and Safety Plan (CHASP) submitted to OER.

If OER approves of the Phase II Work Plan and CHASP, then a Phase II Subsurface Investigation will be implemented. Depending on the results of the investigation you may or may not need to submit a Remedial Action Plan (RAP) and a Construction Health and Safety Plan (CHASP).

If a RAP and CHASP is needed and they meet the environmental requirements, then OER will send a NTP to DOB. When remediation and construction are completed, a Remedial Closure Report will be submitted to OER.

Upon approval of the closure report OER will issue a Notice of Satisfaction (NOS) and you will be able to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. At any time during this process OER may provide a Notice of No Objection (NNO) and no other notices will be required.

I just found out that a HAZMAT (E) designation was placed on my property, what should I do?

American Environmental provides a wide range of environmental services to comply with the E-Designation requirements. American Environmental is also a qualified vendor with the New York City Office of Environmental Remediation (OER) and can assist you with meeting the necessary environmental requirements for the (E) designation assigned to your property.

Please contact American Environmental at (718) 209-0653 to further discuss how we can be of assistance to you.

Related Services